Tiffin's Inniskillings enter Limerick

Wed, 10/03/1691

The Williamite War In Ireland, the War of the Two Kings.

Following their defeat at the Battle of Aughrim, and the death of the commander of James II's French and Jacobite army in Ireland, General Charles Chalmot (the Marquis de Saint-Ruhe), the remnants fled in disorder hoping to escape to the safety of Limerick. General Ginkel advanced on Limerick via Galway and camped before the city on 14 August 1691. From there, Tiffin's Inniskillings were despatched to Castle Connell on 21 August, where they blew up the castle before returning to Ginkel to capture the Thomand Bridge over the River Shannon.

The Thomond Bridge was defended by two forts and covered by fire from Limerick's batteries. These obstacles held up Ginkel's advance for some time. On 22 September, Tiffin led the grenadiers of Ginkel's army and stormed the forts supported by regiments of foot that included Tiffin's Inniskillings. The Jacobite defenders of the forts retreated to the city drawbridge where, because it had already been raised, they were decimated; it was said that the dead lay ‘in heaps higher than the parapet of the bridge’.

That same evening, negotiations for the terms of surrender began and Tiffin entered the city as one of the 'hostages' sent pending the conclusion of negotiations. The city capitulated on 3 October, and the Treaty of Limerick concluded the three-year campaign in Ireland by King William's III's army against King James II's now defeated Franco-Irish army. Thus ended, what the Irish titled, the ‘War of The Two Kings’ (Cogadh an Dá Rí), a war concluded by a treaty whose soon-broken civil articles would have a profound effect on the future of Ireland for centuries to follow. General Patrick Sarsfield would leave Ireland, under the terms of the military articles agreed in the treaty, with a Jacobite army of some 14,000 men (including families and children) and arms and be transported to France to join King James, leaving behind around 2,500 soldiers, who returned to their homes, and a further 1,000 who joined William’s army.